Sunday, September 12, 2010

Just a thank-you

I wanted to write a September 11th post but I couldn't do it. I don't know why... maybe because I don't think I can put into words how much I appreciate the police officers and fire fighters who sacrificed their lives, running into those buildings to save people when they knew they might not come out. I can't imagine that kind of courage. Let alone the soldiers that are overseas right now fighting for a cause they believe in.
I'll spare you what I was doing on Sept. 11, 2001... but I will say that it was the beginning of one of the lowest points in my life. At the same time, I don't think that I really deserve to have that as a low point, compared to so many families who were affected by the loss of loved ones in the planes, towers, or as first responders. Everything seemed to be coming undone and it was as if the world was off of its axis. It was awful.
I think it makes us feel a unique one-ness as Americans, experiencing that kind of tragedy... knowing that those firefighters and police officers didn't know those people in the towers, but ran in to help them because of their sense of duty, just like it could have been me up there, and the firemen or cops around the street the same ones who rushed in to the WTC that day.  Of course, these men risk their lives all the time for people like me... but I guess what I'm trying to say is how much I appreciate it.  So I would like to throw that out there into the universe.  I have infinite amounts of respect for people that will do their best to keep me and my loved ones safe, thank-you.

No comments:

Post a Comment