Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday's morning of dramz

Leon had to go to the vet today.  Last time he went, Joey took him, and reported some wild behavior that necessitated a large woman to be called in to throw a towel over him and hold him down. At the time I found this hard to believe, and if only I had been there, his behavior surely wouldn't have gotten so out of control. I mean, we're talking about this cat, right?

Joey's at work, so it was up to me to take him this morning.
It started out alright enough. I got out the carrier and he more or less got in on his own.

and we ventured over. The vet is across the street... and while it is pretty cold outside and we had to cross a busy road, I think it was less terrible for him than his second most dreaded thing: the car.
We arrived safely, with a lot of pathetic meowing, and waited in our exam room.

I pulled him out of the carrier against his will, and placed him on the exam table.
note the agitated ear positioning.

This is the last picture because after the vet came in, well, lets just say my beloved creature did not exhibit ideal behavior. You know how some moms tell you their kids' stats after doctors appointments? Well, here are ours:
Weight: 11 lbs, 3 oz. I don't know this percentile, but its "OK, we don't want him any bigger."
Heart: seems alright, no weird facial expressions were made
Lungs: hard to tell with the growling and hissing
Temperment: full on crazy feral cat

The vet was incredibly nice, (aren't they all?) and at first he was the best behaved he'd ever been. Then it was time for his vaccinations. The first one was sort of alright. There was extreme hissing, but, well, that happens. Then it was time for the second one, and my animal just went ahead and opened up a can of crazy. There was hissing, prolonged meow screams, and swats before they had to "take him in the back" to finish up. I could faintly hear another meow scream as I waited in the exam room, and I started tearing up a little bit... vacillating between horror at his behavior and feeling so sorry for him. I was hoping they could trim his nails too, but I mean, at this point, we were all ready for the Labordes to head out the door. At least we set the bar low for any other animal behavior that day.
We had to wait a few minutes for them to get some medicine for him, and I waited in the waiting room and talked to a really nice lady about her greyhound. Leon waited in silent anger in his carrier. When we crossed the street to go back home there was more pathetic meowing, and I contemplated if 10:30 am was too early for wine. Surely white wine is OK, right? Mimosas are acceptable at brunch, its sort-of the same. Once he was home he got right out the carrier, and shook his right hind leg a few times... and he was fine.

I however, unscrewed a bottle of pinot grigio and added some club soda to make it socially acceptable, and ate an entire Paul Newman thin crust frozen pizza.

Well... Joey's turn next time!

1 comment:

  1. Liz, your blog just straight up makes me happy!! I'm totally in love with Leon's cat fancies. . . gotta love that he managed to cram all 11 lbs of himself into that little box :)