Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Golden nuggets

My first job was at Chick-fil-a, and to those of you who quite sadly, are unfamiliar, its like a fast food restaurant, except full of delicious chicken nuggets. I started working there when I was 15. I couldn't wait to be old enough to work, (for some reason) and I liked to have money to buy clothes and go to the movies.
My boss was Steve Vinson and he might have been one of the best bosses ever. He let me work on weekends (not Sunday, obvi) and more during the summer. 
One time this irritable man started yelling at me during the middle of a lunch rush on a Saturday. I had taken his order at the register, and he warned me to make sure it was right because well, something to the effect that we consistently provided unsatisfactory order bagging. Well I mean, as this is America and we try to do things as efficiently as possible, we were lined up like an assembly line that would have made Henry Ford proud. Cashiers stayed up front, there was a team bagging orders and a drive-thru team. I didn't put his order together but I did look in it before I handed it to him and it looked right. Before I knew it he was beckoning to me with his finger and yelling at me in front of everyone about how he warned me not to screw up, (and obviously I had done so, probably on purpose.) I started crying, (sigh) and boom, there was Steve telling him not to come back into that Chick-fil-a, ever. (Oh, snap!) I mean, talk about having your back. I'll never forget that. I hope I'm that kind of boss someday. I wonder if Steve remembers it. Everyone else in line was really nice to me afterwards, Texas is a great place.
When I go home I like to go back to "my" Chick-fil-a and say hi and pick up some delicious food. It will always have a soft spot in my heart. I think the fact that I've been talking about it so much is probably because it is not just delectable, but I'm homesick. I haven't been back to Texas since last August, and aside from briefly seeing my friend Julie, and my parents and sister at Christmas, I haven't gotten to see my family and friends and give them a hug and catch up.
 Fortunately I just used the store locator to find that there are TWO in Massachusetts. Maybe that will help tide me over until I get to go to my favorite one back in Hurst, Texas next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment