1. DO ensure that your husband is comfortably enjoying a glass of wine while doing his work. This way he won't ask you questions and you can direct your focus toward the task at hand.
2. DON'T make it from scratch. Who can be measuring flour these days? That is tedious and unnecessary. DO go ahead and consult a box of Duncan Hines. Sure, its a box, but people that give you a hard time about that are jerks. Plus as long as your husband doesn't turn around, he never has to know.
3. DO use a bundt pan, it makes it look fancy.
5. DO piece together the cake and hold with toothpicks.
6. DO cover toothpicks with copious icing and distract with a message conveyed in M&Ms.
7. DON'T forget to take the toothpicks out, lest you slice up a piece for your beloved and he gets one on his fork and exclaims "whoa, good thing I didn't eat that!"
8. Relish your success, congratulations, you are a good wife.