Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cool, calm, and collected.

I have always been sort of an anxious gal. Believe me, if you knew the rest of my family - you would see where this comes from. Compared to my mother and sister, I'm the laid-back one.
Not that this is bad - I think a lot of it stems from an eager to please, ambitious nature that we share. My mom and sister could really run the world... as the laid-back one, I'm less inclined to be able to handle the details of such a venture.



I have to say, I wish I could be more like Joan Holloway from Mad Men. You never see that lady sweat. She has a voice as smooth as silk, and is always the best dressed girl in the room. She's the go-to-girl who can handle anything - she's my inspiration.
I think we all have a desire to be confident, or at least seem confident. For me, I have to wonder - will that ever happen? I must say - I believe it to be way worse when someone has unsubstantiated arrogance. I've come across that a lot up here. So how can you be one while avoiding the other?



The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan, says you should be calm and assertive. You are the pack leader. So then I walk into work, and I try to be the pack leader. Yes, I'm serious. I think to myself: "I am calm. I know what I'm doing, I'm the boss." Well, I'm not really the boss, but I'm in charge of my patients and I direct the assistants in their jobs. I'm also the young and petite, so stature is not on my side. A lot of my patients ask me how old I am and if I've been doing this for a long time. Unfortunately I can't say "SHH!" and prod them in the neck or kick them (gently) in the side to let them know I'm in charge.

On the up side, I recently found my glasses that I only pseudo-need, and I've been wearing them - lets see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment